Ombré dresser drawers

We have TONS of projects going at the moment (hence very little time for blogging!), so in the midst of working on all these projects that need to be done, I figured I’d squeeze in a more fun project: ombré-ing (that’s a word, right?) my paint supplies dresser in the garage! It’s been on my “do if I get the time” list for a while, so I decided to take advantage of a rainy day to get it done.

DSC_0157

We bought this shabby, not-so-chic dresser at a garage sale for $5 a few years ago. We knew the measurements were perfect to create storage in this useless space between the shelf and steps in our garage. And you cannot buy plastic storage shelves for $5, so it was a bargain.

DSC_0134

But it was in TERRIBLE shape. Like maybe someone took it swimming. The veneer was peeling really badly (the pictures don’t do it justice) and the drawers do not open well. Or close well. Surprising that it still had all it’s hardware, really.

DSC_0136

We primarily bought it for storage, but we also wanted to experiment with some veneer removal methods (namely, covering it with a wet rag and ironing the heck out of it). As I’m sure you can tell from the fact that we only managed to remove the veneer from one drawer, none of the methods were very easy.

So we gave up, slid it into this spot and crammed it full of stuff.

DSC_0135

But I still want it to be cute even if it is destined to stay in the garage. I have a ton of mess up paints so I mixed up four shades of blue, one for each drawer. For the two lighter colors I started with a white base and added small amounts of turquoise, and for the two darker I started with the turquoise and added white.

DSC_0137

I wanted this to be a quick project, so I didn’t even sand (that’s hard for me!!). I removed the hardware, wiped off the drawer fronts and added a quick coat of primer to the bare drawer.

I didn’t want to have to get a roller and tray dirty for each drawer, so starting with the lightest drawer I applied the paint with small brush, rolled it smooth, and then rolled/brushed out excess paint on a piece of cardboard before moving on to the next. The painting step took much less time than mixing the colors!

DSC_0144

I re-attached the hardware and that was that!

DSC_0145

This was probably the fastest project I’ve ever done! If the drawers would glide more smoothly, I’d almost consider  putting inside! Almost…

DSC_0147

Now it’s functional and cute! In the top drawer I keep paint samples, latex and nitrile gloves, chip brushes, tack cloth and cheesecloth, and foam brushes.

DSC_0153

Roller handles, foam and nap rollers, and extra tape in the next.

DSC_0154

Paint trays and a few random paint sprayer supplies in the third.

DSC_0156

And tarps go in the bottom, but they’re currently spread all over our garage for our many in process projects. Now that this is done, it’s time to move on to some more pressing things…mostly involving the deck. Be excited!

DSC_0158

, , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply