Audrina has arrived!

She’s here! After two years of saving and waiting for a new couch, the day has finally arrived! Technically we’ve had it for a week, but we are still soooo excited! As I mentioned in this post over a month ago, we chose the Klaussner Audrina sofa in “Eddy Smoke.”

DSC_0040

Isn’t it cute?! This is what we had before…a big red overstuffed couch that we got for $200.

DSC_0040

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good couch and served us well for over 4 years. But we were so over the red! And the puffiness! Enter Audrina. Sleek. Streamlined. Neutral.

DSC_0033

Not to mention it takes up the same amount of space as our previous couch (they were almost exactly the same length), but instead of feeling crowded by the poofy pillow arms, we have a lot more room and can sit comfortably right next to the thin, low arms.

DSC_0032

And this new sofa is deeper, too. The overstuffed pillows on the red couch made you feel like you were being pushed off!

The only downside (which isn’t really the sofa’s fault), is that it’s also taller than the old one so our coffee table seems kind of awkwardly low, and since we can each sit on one end cushion now (instead of in between the cushions like before), the coffee table isn’t quite long enough, either.

DSC_0035

Poor little $7 coffee table. That’s probably the next furniture purchase we’ll be wanting to make. But for now, we’ll just have to live with this one, and I might need to redo and sell some furniture to start a coffee table fund!

Other than the coffee table, we have no complaints thus far. We love our fabric choices, too! Here’s a close-up of the Eddy Smoke. This picture is a pretty good representation of the color (some of the other pictures make it look a teeny bit warmer than the actual color).

DSC_0054

I’ve also had a lot of fun adding pillows! We never had enough room on our old couch to add pillows, so I’m loving this! I even bought a cute Christmas pillow from Target for $12, and I’ll be so sad when I have to put it away! I just don’t understand why we can’t be joyful all year round!

DSC_0039

I bought these two pillows almost a year ago in preparation for a new couch, and I love them with it!

DSC_0044

I’m so excited that we’re no longer tied into the red theme. Simply by switching out the accent pillows and a few other items, we can completely change the colors in our living room! Yippee! Though we did have one other prominent red item in our living room…the lampshade.

DSC_0019

As soon as we had ordered the couch, I set out to find a new lampshade (online, of course). Almost all of them were $30 or $40…for a simple linen-looking drum shape! Seems outrageous to me, but then again, I’m no lamp expert.

And then, one day, Andrew and I were thrifting, and I came across a lamp shade! It was the exact same size as all the ones online (I know because I put the measurements in my phone and I ALWAYS carry a tape measure!) and get this…$4! In the words of Mitch Hedberg, “I can deal with that.”

DSC_0048

We love it! It’s neutral and doesn’t call attention to itself, it was super cheap, which is amazing…

DSC_0047

And we really like this subtle little pattern…I think it keeps it from blending into the wall too much.

DSC_0050

As we figure out what colors we want to add back in (think curtains, new coffee table, reupholstered club chairs, art, pillows, etc.), we might change it out for something more vibrant, but for now we’re loving the neutrality of it all!

DSC_0029

Here’s the final budget breakdown.

We paid $986 for Audrina (including tax and delivery). $600 of that was saved in cash from selling redone furniture, we used our $200 monthly “home improvement” budget and $40 monthly decor budget, and we sold the red couch for….drum roll please…..$180!! (In case you’re bad at math, that means we paid $5 per year to use it. Not a bad return if you ask me.)

Up next: change out the yellow fabric in our radio cabinet to neutral canvas (it’s the green and yellow thing on the right of the picture above), find some curtains that aren’t like everybody else’s but don’t cost a fortune, and replace the desk! Hopefully…..with this!

hamilton-x-desk

I was going to buy it as I have some “fun money” and gift cards, but I couldn’t make up my mind before it went back up to $130 from the $90 sales price. Stupid me. So now I’m crossing my fingers that it’ll go on sale again after Christmas!

So anyway, what do you think? Better than the red monstrosity? I should say so.

DSC_0042

16 Responses to Audrina has arrived!

1. Nina April 7, 2014 at 8:51 am #

Hi –

We are about to purchase the same sofa you pruchased last year. The Klaussner Audrina sofa. How has it held up over the past year. Do you still love it? Is it good quality?

Thanks for your helpful review!

• Arielle April 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

Hi Nina! We do still love it! We’ve only had it since December, though, so I’m not sure I can really speak to its durability or quality. So far we haven’t had any issues and I do think it looks high quality! The piping is straight and neat, the tufting is perfect…really no complaints with the upholstery, and we get compliments on it all the time!! We’re still in the honeymoon phase with it, and I always put down a towel when we eat something red on the couch! Hah! We also rotate the cushions on the first of every month to try to ensure they wear evenly! I’ll be interested to see how long it lasts, too!

Enjoy your new sofa!
      -Arielle

2. Amy Day May 8, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

You never mentioned the comfort of this sofa. Are the seat and back cushions very firm with little give or are they soomewhat soft? Do the back cushions come off? Are the cushions reversible ? I’m looking at purchasing this gorgeous sofa online but am concerned with comfort as well as looks. Your input would be appreciated!

• Simple House Expressions May 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

Hey Amy! The couch is gorgeous, no doubt about that! The cushions (back and seat) are all removable and reversible, which is a feature I really wanted!! The tufting and piping looks really great, even 5 months later, and even on the reverse side. I rotate our cushions every month to ensure they wear evenly and just flipped them over for the first time a few days ago.

If you’re used to an overstuffed style sofa, this one could seem a little firm at first. The cushions are definitely on the firm side in order to achieve the sleek, streamlined look. We had asked about getting down-wrapped cushions, but the manufacturer doesn’t do it for this model because it ruins the look. I think they use a pretty high density foam, but I think that’s a bonus! You don’t want them to break down too quickly! The cushions along the back are softer and less dense than the seat cushions. I have definitely noticed over the last few months that the cushions have gotten softer, but when no one’s on couch it looks just like the day we bought it (the cushions do need some adjusting every once in a while since they’re not attached, but they fit in very tightly so they don’t slide around). It’s our only couch in our only living space (so we sit on it a lot!) and my husband and I both think it’s pretty comfortable and always prefer to sit on it vs anything else.

It’s really deep, too, which we love! Also, keep in mind the back of the couch does lean back a little bit, vs being straight up and down like a lot of sofas. There’s also so much room on the couch! It’s a pretty standard length, but it seems like there’s so much more room to sit because of the low, thin arms.

Bottom line, if you’re looking for a fluffy couch that you will sink into every time you sit down, this probably wouldn’t be the one. But if you want a couch that’s streamlined and structured, but comfortable enough to sit on for long periods of time and roomy enough to nap on, I say go for it! Hope this helps!

Happy couch shopping!
      -Arielle

3. Jessica February 2, 2015 at 1:42 pm #

Hi Arielle–
    Now that you’re a year in, are you still satisfied with your couch? We’re getting ready to purchase the same (+ a chair & ottoman). I just LOVE the fabric (which is exactly what we’re looking for as well), but I don’t think they carry it anymore. 🙁

In general, has the structure of the couch held up? Any sagging? How about the cushions and pillows? Also, do you happen to know the fiber content of the fabric? I’m hoping to find something that at least has some natural (cotton or linen) content rather than 100% polyester.

Thanks!

• Simple House Expressions March 10, 2015 at 6:05 pm #

Wow, I’m so sorry for the delayed response and sorry if it’s too late to be helpful. I didn’t see this comment until now!

We are still really happy with it!! I think I did see that maybe the fabric has been discontinued. Sad day. 🙁 I think the structure is just about the same as the day we got it. I make sure I rotate the cushions (back and bottom) on the first of every month and flip them every 6 months so they wear evenly. Our fabric is 100% polyester and we chose that on purpose. Cotton and linen feel nice, but they wrinkle and stretch faster and they’re not nearly as stain resistant. Every stain we’ve gotten on this fabric has come out completely and we’ve never had any water rings after cleaning. The texture of it is very much like linen in feel and appearance, so I think you might still really like it if it were available in another color?

If you’ve already bought a sofa, I hope you’re happy with it!!

-Arielle

• Jessica March 13, 2015 at 7:04 am #

Thanks for the reply, Arielle. We actually ended up splurging and going with a different manufacturer entirely. We’re really looking forward to our new sofa (and two chairs!)… but they won’t be delivered until May! At least that gives me time to plan our “furniture warming” party, haha!

• christine March 26, 2015 at 11:19 am #

hello Jessica,
          I too like the Audrina sofa, so which sofa and chairs did you go with? and Why?
          thanks christine

• Jessica March 27, 2015 at 8:48 am #

Hi Christine– The 2 chairs we ended up buying don’t actually look anything like the Audrina chair! (Or our sofa for that matter!) One was on clearance (but still cost a small fortune!) on the show room floor– and we were like, “it’s kinda sexy, why not?!”, and the other is more of a “fashion” chair. It looks cool, and is fairly comfortable, but it won’t be our “every-day-sit-and-watch-tv” chair.

And like I said, what we ended up buying was a *major* splurge, and is pretty much top-of-the-line. But, we knew we were making an investment in “real” furniture, (ie not Ikea) and this stuff should last us at least 20 years. That’s really the main reason we decided against the Klaussner line. Not that it’s “bad”, but it’s just constructed differently. Did you know that furniture has a “suspension system”? Yep! And the really good stuff is called “eight-way hand tied”. We were also really struggling to find a Klaussner fabric that we liked. (Like Arielle said, the fabric on her couch has since been discontinued.) It was really a search for an acceptable fabric that lead us down the rabbit hole. And to be honest, my husband fell in love with this sofa as soon as he saw it. There was no persuading him otherwise, no matter how hard I tried!

Here’s what we got:

Sofa by Huntington House: http://huntingtonhouse.com/default/index.cfm/products/product-detail/?item=7227-20

Chair by Wesley Hall: http://www.wesleyhall.com/itemdetail/func/StyleNumber/L8075#.VRVnovnF-MI

Chair by Rowe: http://www.rowefurniture.com/product/K631-00.html?start=2

*Note: Our pieces are not in the same colours as the ones pictured. The couch is a nice, warm grey, the leather chair is rich blue/green (“Caruso Nightscape”) with silver nail heads(!), and the Rowe chair is a mustard yellow– very mid-century modern!

If you live in NC (or anywhere near NC) and can get down to High Point, I highly recommend checking out Furnitureland South (but take snacks! The place is HUGE.) They have an enormous selection of furniture, in every price range, and sales people who can help you put it all together.

Oh, and we haven’t bought a rug yet (you know, to tie the room together), but Home Decorators (owned by Home Depot) has some really great stuff.

Best of luck!! (And sorry for hijacking your blog in the comments, Arielle!)
            -Jessica

• Christine March 28, 2015 at 12:25 pm #

Wow Jessica, I can’t wait to know
            What it feels like to finally find something we love.
            I’ve considered going to NC but live in Michigan.
            I will now consider 8 way gand tied furniture. I would love
            To see a picture of your room once you receive your
            Rug or even now with a before and after the rug. Good luck
            Christine

4. Kathy April 16, 2015 at 9:31 am #

I too have a red couch that I want to replace and your couch is beautiful. I love the fabric and the color. So now my dilemma is, do I buy the couch and then choose my wall paint colors….or pick a wall paint color and then go buy a couch. lol

I’m loving your blog…so glad I found you!

• Simple House Expressions August 10, 2015 at 12:54 pm #

Oh dear! My blog hasn’t been sending me comment notifications, so I missed this too! I hope you figured out your paint/couch dilemma! 😀

• Anonymous August 10, 2015 at 12:59 pm #

I sold the red sectional, painted my walls a light chalky grey, bought new furniture…now have the dilemma of purchasing a new rug. It’s always something. lol Thanks for responding anyway.

• Simple House Expressions August 10, 2015 at 3:04 pm #

Haha! I hear ya! The work is never done!! 😀

5. V November 29, 2016 at 12:33 pm #

Hi-you’ve had the couch for a while now. How is it holding up? I am considering purchasing an Audrina couch and I am curious as to durability of fabric and construction.

• Simple House Expressions December 1, 2016 at 12:00 pm #

Hi! Thanks for the comment. It’s been 3 years, and we still love it! The fabric is holding up amazingly well, even after a few food spills (red sauce, alfredo, grease, etc.), a solid line of crayon (which came out completely!) and some…cat vomit incidents. Ick. Most of the time, we do put down a towel if we’re going to be eating on the couch which has certainly prevented more than a few spills! So far we have no obvious stains or even water marks from where I’ve cleaned it, and no pilling either. I heard our fabric was discontinued, but the important thing for wear and washability is 100% polyester. The texture and pattern also help.

The back cushions haven’t condensed much at all, just softened and become more comfortable. The bottom cushions have condensed some and lost a little of their shape compared to the perfectly square shape in the pictures from 3 years ago, but I think that’s to be expected. I would still say they’re wearing well and overall it still looks very good! My husband and I tend to sit on the same spots on the sofa, so I rotate all 6 cushions (left to right) every month, and I flip them every 6 months (I have reminders in my phone for the 1st of the month.) That definitely helps them wear evenly and it looks so good after I flip the cushions (LOVE that all the cushions are reversible!! That was an important feature that we wanted in a new couch.)

As for construction, nothing has broken, the feet are sturdy, it doesn’t creak, and so far there’s no sagging under the cushions. The area behind the back cushions where my husband sits is a little more indented than the rest but it’s not noticeable with the cushions on. Guess we should switch up our seating arrangement! Honestly, that really would help with even wear, too. Overall, I am very pleased with our choice! And it’s the 1st, so it’s time to rotate the cushions! Good luck!

– Arielle