I’ve been hearing so much lately about Annie Sloan Chalk paint, so last week I decided to try making my own (since the price is a little steep for me!). But I also needed a subject, and this little guy was perfect. Actually it’s not that little. But still perfect.
We bought this last summer at a garage sale for $5. I really liked the shape and style of it (especially the fact that it has no heart cutouts like so many other wooden coat racks or shelves), but hated that it only had two hooks. Not a very useful coat rack if you ask me.
So I pulled off the knobs creating a big hole right in the middle of each side.
Since I wanted to put 2 knobs in each of the middle sections, I had to fill the holes. I always use Elmer’s Pro Bond Wood Filler. This picture is just the first time I filled it.
I filled and sanded each hole about 3 times to make sure I had a smooth finish that wouldn’t show through the paint. Then I primed the whole piece. Now Annie Sloan Chalk Paint claims that there’s no need to sand or prime, but I just couldn’t bring myself to skip those steps on the first try! Maybe some day…
First, I used an off-white mess-up color to make my chalk paint for the base color (what will show through when I distress it). I just did one coat and then applied a coat of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax. Then I put grey chalk paint over the top. It already looked way better! (Read more about the steps here.)
I am in love with the grey color, but it was a mess-up paint so when I run out of this gallon I won’t be able to replace it. Makes me so sad. Once the front was dry I painted a coat of regular grey paint on the back to make it look more finished.
Then I distressed the entire piece using a fine grit sanding block and 220 grit sand paper (they had different effects and I wanted to ensure the distressing wasn’t even or exactly the same in every spot). I applied the final coat of wax after the distressing.
Here’s how it looked after I distressed it. I’m really happy with how the distressing came out. And like I said in my chalk paint post, distressing this stuff is easy peasy, especially compared to peely latex.
While I could have drilled the holes myself, I was so nervous about messing it up so I let my handy husband do it for me. We drilled holes for 2 knobs in each of the middle sections and for 1 on each end (for a total of 6 where there were only 2 before).
I bought 6 white/off-white knobs from Hobby Lobby. Even though they were on sale that week, I still paid $15 for 6 knobs. Not super cheap, but I wanted it to have a more eclectic, collected feel, and these knobs were exactly what I needed. Sorry there are no pictures of it hanging. Since I’m planning to sell it I’m not going to be hanging it anywhere in my house. Sadly.
So here’s the “after” of my first chalk paint project.
Chaucer loves it, too! Well, he loves how handsome he looks in front of it.
Being a perfectionist, I’m very rarely satisfied with a finished product, but I actually really love this one! I wish I had a place for it in my house, but since I don’t I suppose I can sell it. Reluctantly.